I was thinking for several times to invite all HUSO foreign teachers who are teaching at Western and Eastern Languages Departments for meetings. If we look at the number of foreign teachers, we have twelve native speakers. Today was our second time of meeting with them. The session was an informal discussion. The primary objective was to get our foreign teachers acquainted with all HUSO administrators and learn some immigration regulations. Dean Awang has greeted them that HUSO is honored to host all foreign teachers here. Even the situation of the Deep South seems to be not good projected by the main stream media, especially about the insurgency and unrest incidents happening in the area, but they are willing to come and teach our students. As you may know, learning foreign languages students are supposed to expose to the native speakers. At least students can get familiar with the genuine accent of that language. HUSO has eight foreign languages all together, English, French, German, Arabic, Malay, Chinese, Japanese, and Korean. All these languages have native speakers.
However, some points I learnt from the session today are the following.
1. They need to have PSU Passport account, so that they can access to PSU database system. Many of them don’t have the accounts.
2. Documents and websites are in Thai and they have a problem to access and to understand. How can PSU change the information from Thai to bilingual (Thai and English)? As we claim, PSU will be international campus. We need to gradually adjust. To my responsibility, I will try my best to make our HUSO website to be bilingual. Dr. Munira is willing to help me out. Thank you very much.
3. Conducting research is one of their mission while they are teaching at PSU. Many of them don’t know that they are obliged to conduct a research as well, not only teaching. I believe that they have high potential to do this task. Research grants are available. Dr.Ruth, Associate Dean for Research and Graduate Studies is happy to help you, if you may need.
4. Associate Dean for Student Development and Community Relations, ajarn Nawamon, is happy to hold a Thai language class for those who want to practice their Thai. We will introduce this activity to them starting from November this year. You just inform your name to your immediate boss. I am sure that the boss will proceed your name to the faculty.
5. On August 25-26, 2012, HUSO will organize a project called “HUSO Team Building” in Songkhla. All teachers including foreign teachers are invited to join in this session. You just tell your name to your immediate boss. I recommend you this session.
6. HUSO has agreed to hold international conference as the following:
-International Colloquium on Teaching Foreign Languages at Univesiti Malaysia Kelantan on December 19-21, 2012
-International Conference on ASEAN Culture at Univesiti Sultan Zainal Abidin (Terengganu) on October 13-14, 2012
-International Conference on Innovation and Sustainable Development at Sunway University, Kuala Lumpur, on April 13-14, 2013.